New - Sierra Energy Seeks Chemical Engineer
Sierra Energy, a clean-tech start-up, is seeking a full-time, experienced Chemical Engineer to add to its highly motivated, forward-thinking team.
With national attention from the New York Times and contracts with the Department of Defense and the California Energy Commission, Sierra Energy is commercializing a revolutionary gasification technology for the conversion of different solid and liquid material types into a clean intermediate syngas (primarily CO and H2) that can be converted into liquid fuels, hydrogen, electricity and chemicals. The team is focused on designing distributed small-scale standardized platforms that can be readily-deployed to a number of project locations within a very short time frame.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic, multi-faceted team in an environment that offers variety and demands attention to detail and a willingness to be flexible.
- Works directly with the CTO and other in-house engineers, and outside equipment vendors.
- Conduct techno-economic evaluations of novel and existing technologies, including engagement with outside equipment vendors, production of H&MB models, cost analysis, and presentation of results to management.
- Utilize and modify the existing FastOx Gasification process simulation using ChemCAD.
- Pre-FEED design activities to support core engineering team (for example sizing of equipment such as pumps, heat ex-changers, conducting trade-off analyses).
- Participate in PHAs and review guidelines and regulations for design and operation of equipment.
- Depending on experience level, this role may have opportunity to make technology improvements and may take an active role in optimization of the process.
- May have to travel (within CA and out of state) to project site and/or various vendors and consulting groups.
Minimum Experience and Skills:
- Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering.
- Modelling processes using ChemCAD, ASPEN, HSC or other similar software.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be a self-starter and be able to work autonomously, but also be willing to collaborate as part of a dynamic, multi-faceted team.
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- 2+ years experience in Chemical Engineering related activities from chemicals, petrochemicals or refining industries.
- Experience with Oxygen (design for use, cleaning and inspection) and Hydrogen (design for use) is a plus.
- Simple/light cover letter (please include salary expectations and how quickly you could start should you be successful).
Please send the requested items to firstname.lastname@example.org